Skip to main content

Gratitude

This past Sunday I gave a lesson on Gratitude to my Young Women. It really got me thinking. I think that lesson was more for me than anyone else. I used a lot of material from President Monson's talk on finding joy in the journey...
"I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not, I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey - now. ...when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present- love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us (happiness) - the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth." - President Thomas S. Monson
Lately I have felt so overwhelmed with school, internship, homework, work, and keeping up with life. I have found myself saying "when I'm done with school I'll be able to do this or this" or "I can't wait to be at "this time" in my life." Constantly looking toward the future instead of enjoying my journey now and being grateful for all of the amazing things I'm experiencing and learning right now.
So in my newfound view of life, I decided to think of all the things I love about my life right now and am so grateful for.
I am grateful for...
Landon... the best husband ever that I found at the perfect time in my life
The Gospel... and all the joy it brings
Temples... and the peace felt there
Family... even in all the ups and downs
My mom...for helping me keep my head on straight and being my best friend & design consultant (she's the real design genius)
Work...a place where I can be creative and make a little money at the same time :)
Education/School...another place to learn, grow, create, and build friendships
Change...for making me stronger
Trials...for drawing me closer to the Lord
This is only a short list of all that I have to be grateful for right now. I am so blessed.
At the beginning of the semester my AutoCAD teacher shared this video with us about creating. I'm so grateful to be able to go to school and do what I love...create. I really believe I was divinely inspired to know what to do with my education. I know many people think interior design is only about pillow tossing and making things pretty. But it is much more. It is an in depth process of creating a beautiful and functional space that makes people happy and comfortable. It takes work. It is what I love.
I love to create.

Comments

  1. hey sissy, i would LOVE you to do my flowers. its comin up quick, here is my number 801.916.5006 i'll get your number from alli and we'll get started! i can't wait! thanks sissy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GIVEAWAY Today! - CLOSED

SORRY, THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED.  I have a lovely little giveaway for you today!  The majority vote was for the West Elm gift card, so that's what our lucky winner will get, $25 to spend on whatever they would like at West Elm!  To enter you can do one or all of the following: 1 // Share this giveaway on Facebook 2 // Share on Instagram  3 // Share on Twitter 4 // Share on your own blog 5 // Become a follower of this lovely blog 6 // "Like" Carpe Diem Design on Facebook  Then leave a comment here telling me what you did to enter.  The more things you do, the more times your name will be entered into the drawing.  Winner will be announced Wednesday morning! 

20 Weeks

I will be 20 weeks with baby #2 in just a couple of days. Baby boy #2 that is! Half way! I'm finally getting around to taking a picture of myself and writing down a little bit about this pregnancy.  It's definitely been different this time around both emotionally and physically.  Of course I have another child to attend to so I can't nap whenever I want, I felt more sick this time around and it lasted longer, and worst of all for me is the teenage acne I've developed.  I don't intend for this to be a sob story, but I've never been the girl that everyone says "You're so pretty" to and I've never been the skinny girl. But I have always had really great skin. To be honest, most of my confidence in my outward appearance is because I have my mom's skinny legs and I have clear skin and a natural tan. Well these days I literally cringe when I look in the mirror. I've NEVER had acne. I've always had the occasional breakout tha...

Another Week, Another Hike

My aunt, mom, and I headed up Holbrook Canyon last Saturday to take in more of Fall's goodness. This canyon is just above the Bountiful, Utah Temple. The last time I hiked it was ages ago, so I forgot about how long of a hike it is. I looked up the mileage online which said 8 miles up and back. Well I don't know if that's accurate or what because after we had gone what I swear was 4-5 miles, we still weren't to the top and had to turn around so we could make it back before dark. A lot of the trail is uphill and it's not a really easy hike, so maybe we were just making slower time and didn't go as far as I thought, but maybe next time we'll actually make it to the top. Even though we didn't make it, it was still worth the beautiful scenery. As we got toward the bottom as the sun was practically gone, the canyon was glowing from all the brilliant colored leaves. It was seriously magical, as cheesy as that sounds. It's a shaded hike, almos...